Sunday, May 2, 2010

Entry #1

Journal #1
Chapters 1-3
Perspective: Ms. Caroline

Dear Diary,
My first day was horrible. The day started when I read the book about cats. It was a lovely tale and made me feel fresh and ready for the day. I began teaching the class the alphabet. This one child, Jean Louise, had already learned to read from her father. She kept making up these stories about how she was born to read. Clearly lying to my face. I can’t believe how some of these children here don’t know how to talk to a proper lady. Later, I caught that same little girl writing. What child in this little patch of nowhere already reads? Her father really needs to stop teaching her.
When we got to lunch it didn’t get much better. I gave this one little boy a quarter. He rejected it. As a teacher it is my duty to ensure everyone has a lunch. Some of the children don’t have as satisfactory things however at least they have something to eat. This poor boy was barely talking to me. Then Jean stood up and started giving me this lecture about how he couldn’t pay me back. I was in complete shock. This rude little child continues interrupting my class and tells me I am shaming this little boy. I had enough of it. I was at my max with her. She really irked me. I grabbed her and brought her up to the front. I gave her a good whippin’ then sent her to the corner of the room. I will not have first graders talk to me like that and I will definitely not have my class running a loose.
Once everyone left for lunch I began to cry. Everyone seemed so mean to me. I have never been talked to like that when I was in Winston County. I am trying to educate the young people by condescending all the way out here in this little patch of nowhere. I even brought my Dewey Decimal System to try to help the students, which is an eccentric plan. I want to give up. I just don’t think I belong here. However, since I am Miss Caroline Fisher I will persevere and not give up. My grandma wouldn’t be proud of me quitting. This is for you Grandma.
After lunch was the worst part of the day. I was standing in my classroom as this little boy walked in. All of the sudden this louse started crawling out of his hair. A live louse! This boy was not what you would describe as clean. He was worse than all the other children combined. His hair was a giant tornado. He pinched of the louse with his fingers. He was covered in dirt from head to toe. If you saw him from far away you would of thought he was that color. Even his fingernails were black to the nub. I told him to go home, like all other practical people would say. Once I said that he told me he wasn’t coming back. Apparently his family only goes one day a year. He began to talk back to me. He ended up leaving yelling, “Ain’t no snot-nosed slut of a schoolteacher ever born c’n make me do nothin’! You ain’t makin’ me go nowhere, missis.” That was just too much for me. It had been a horrible day and I just couldn’t handle it. The other children began to comfort me, which did help. Soon the day was over.
It was definitely not a good day. It is so hard not knowing everyone’s family. The children all know each other and their backgrounds but I don’t. They are all so indigenous here. I have so much to learn. I guess I’m not going to be the only one learning this year.
I think the Maudie Atkinson (the family I’m staying with) is calling me for dinner.
Write more later,
Caroline Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment